Sonya B. Coffman
Sonya Coffman received her law degree from the University of Texas in 1989, after which she began her legal career in Houston with a large international law firm. She has spent her entire career as a trial lawyer representing plaintiffs and defendants in divorce, custody, and family law matters, personal injury, toxic tort, professional malpractice and business cases.
Sonya Coffman has a broad business background having practiced as a CPA with an international accounting firm, served as Chief Financial Officer of a small closely-held business and worked as a securities broker for two national firms.
Sonya Coffman only practices family law. Ms. Coffman is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She is also AV peer review rated, the highest rating possible, by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, rated Superb by Avvo, and designated a Texas Super Lawyer in Family Law (2018).
- All Texas Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Professional and Bar Association Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Texas – Family Law Section
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Texas Family Law Foundation (Life Member)
- Jefferson County Bar Association
- In re R.C.K.; No. 09-16-00132-CV; 2016 WL 3197585 (Tex. App.—Beaumont, June 9, 2016) (mandamus issued in favor of Sonya Coffman’s client, a doctor, precluding the production of his medical records, pharmacy records, personnel records, and cell phone logs containing patient telephone numbers).
- In the Interest of D.F.L.; No. 09-15-00310-CV; 2016 WL 423620(Tex. App.-Beaumont, Feb. 4, 2016, pet. denied) (termination of mother’s parental rights) (judgment in favor of Sonya Coffman’s client (father).
- Pekar v. Pekar, No. 09-14-00464-CV; 2016 WL 240761 (Tex. App.-Beaumont, January 21, 2016, no pet.) (property division) (judgment in favor of Sonya Coffman’s client).
- In re Barnard; No. 09-13-00149-CV; 2013 WL 1790238 (Tex. App.-Beaumont, April 25, 2013, no pet.) (child custody) (judgment in favor of Sonya Coffman’s client).
- In re C.M.F., L.M.F. and C.G.F.; No. 09-11-00626-CV; 2013 WL 476757 (Tex. App.-Beaumont, February 07, 2013, review denied) (child support) (judgment in favor of Sonya Coffman’s client).
- In re J.E.; No. 09-09-00476-CV; 2010 WL 5232977 (Tex. App.-Beaumont, December 16, 2010, no pet.) (child custody) (judgment in favor of Sonya Coffman’s client).
- Treuil v. Treuil, 311 S.W.3d 114 (Tex. App.-Beaumont 2010, no pet.) (divorce) (trial court reversed and rendered in favor of Sonya Coffman’s client).
- Huckabay v. Moore, 142 F.3d 243 (5th Cir. 1998) (employment) (summary judgment affirmed in favor of Sonya Coffman’s client).
- Family First Contributor (2009 – 2016)
Live at Five (KFDM-TV, Channel 6)
- Symphony League of Beaumont
Board of Directors (1999-2011)
Third Vice-President (2006-2007)
Debutante Chair (2005-2006)
Symphony Ball Chair (2004)
- Junior League of Beaumont (1994-present)
Lagniappe Chair (2000-2001)
- Julie Rogers Gift of Life
Board of Directors (2000-2010)
Volunteer of the Year (2005)
Kickoff Chair for Breast Cancer Awareness (2004)
- Neches River Festival
Board of Directors (2007-2011)
Invitations Chair (2007)
Reservations Chair (2006)
- Beaumont Community Partners for Children (Rainbow Room)
Board of Directors (1995-2004)
- CASA of Southeast Texas
“Casas for CASA” Chair (2002)
- All Saints Episcopal School
Parents’ Association Treasurer (2004-2005)